Friday, August 1, 2008

Various Meanderings

The weather in Toronto (the centre of the Universe!) has been rather strange lately. We have gotten lots of rain, much of it in sudden downpours. I think the same has been true across the country. Is this the impact of climate change? I don't know.


I've been playing with my new toy - my Apple MacBook Pro. I got it last Friday and have tried a few of its funky functions. I sat in front of the computer and made a couple of videos. Haven't posted anything yet, but I hope to create a video blog as soon as I figure out how to do it. What just came to mind as I wrote this is my first computer - a Commodore 64! You had to program those things, not at all like computers nowadays. Actually a little while ago I was speaking to one of our new young employees and I was recounting my first computer course in University. It was Fortran and we had to use punch cards to write the program, put the cards through the card reader and come back a few hours later to pick up your batch job, only to discover that it did not work because you punched something wrong. He looked at me and asked me what a punch card was. Felt a little old! Well, guess I'm hip (or whatever the term is) - I now have a Mac!!

Speaking of being hip, we are testing out some discussion boards for the IPAC website. I hope to have them up and running in time for our August annual conference in Québec City. If all goes well (don't discount Murphy's law) as an IPAC member you will be able to partake in discussions with public servants, academics, etc across the country and around the world. I'll be looking for board moderators on the topics we put up, so think about that.

One last thing before I go back to my desk piled with paper - have you registered for the annual conference in Québec City yet? What are you waiting for? Even though Paul McCartney won't be there, if you come I might even be persuaded to sing on the pleins d'Abraham!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment