Thursday, November 20, 2008

Gabriel Goes to Whitehorse

In my Ying and Yang of travel I have been to Barbados and now the Yukon in the space of a month – slight differences in temperature and topology. This was my first ever visit to the Yukon – or the “Great White North”. I left Toronto on Monday night at 18:15 on an Air Canada flight to Vancouver and then I was supposed to board a 22:00 flight to Whitehorse that was supposed to land at 00:30 (local time or 03:00 Toronto time). Well, the flight was delayed and we left at 00:45 and landed in Whitehorse at 03:00 local time (or 06:00 Toronto time). Manon Moreau the Chair of the Yukon Regional Group was there to pick me up.

Apart from that, the rest of my time here has been fabulous. I have had a number of meetings with the Yukon First Nation Groups; with the Government of the Yukon Deputy Ministers and ADMs; with the City of Whitehorse; with the Yukon Government policy community; as well as a meet & greet with IPAC members. I learned much about the realities of the Yukon and Northern life. Did you know that the Yukon has 4 orders of government – the federal government; the Yukon government; municipal governments; and 15 First Nation Governments (11 of which have signed self-government agreements). All this with a population of over 32,000 people, 75% of whom live in Whitehorse. The biggest First Nation Government serves a population of just over 1,000 people. All these First Nation governments are responsible for the delivery of provincial/territorial type services to their community. With all these orders of government, the need for co-operation and collaboration is the key to success. What a challenge!

Apart from talking about IPAC, our mission and our programming, I also was invited to speak to a group of policy folks on “Evidence-based Policy”. It was a lively discussion of the issues around the development of the full range of policy issues based upon reliable evidence. (My presentation is posted on the IPAC website under Research). I also spoke about our international program and our two new initiatives – the Value of Public Service project and the Canada Population Policy project.

I had the opportunity of walking around Whitehorse and seeing a little bit of the town. It is nestled along the Yukon River and there are mountains all around. The trees were all white as they we sprinkled with snow and ice – I should have brought my camera!! There are a number of very nice coffee shops (went to Baked – great coffee and scones!) and some nice shops as well. I was told that the Yukon has more artists per capita than anywhere else and you can tell by the paintings, photos, sculptures, etc. that you find in the stores.

The public administration and public policy challenges of the North – with vast regions and small dispersed populations – are not unique to the Yukon but are similar for the two other territories as well as the northern part of every other province in Canada, save the Maritimes. In these smaller communities you are closer to the people – if you work for the Government of the Yukon, everyone knows you in town and are likely to ask you about a problem at the grocery store or the hairdresser or at the restaurant. For those who work in larger governments, think about that for a second.

I want to thank Manon Moreau and Julie Haywood for organizing this trip to the Yukon and I also want to thank all the dedicated public servants that I met for their warmth and hospitality during my short sojourn in the Yukon. I will be back (with my camera)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment